What strategies should you use to hire a team for your startup?
Learn how to find members for your team
The first step in your hiring process to find your team is knowing how to find them. There are many ways to find your team:
1.Work your network: Collaborate with friends, universities, former colleagues, etc., to spread the word about who you are looking for.
2. Reach out to people you know that they have the skills you want: If you know someone who fits the job description you seek, you can connect with them and also let them know the type of person you’re interested in for your startup position. They likely will have other people in their networks with similar interests that you’re looking for.
3. Virtual Network: To meet people outside of your circle, you can attend networking events (in person or virtually), LinkedIn, etc. You have to be patient.
Know who you’re looking for
Before you start selecting for a position, write a job description about the type of person you’re looking for.
So, before advertising:
- Make your job titles are specific
- Understand the qualities and requirements you are looking for in your team members
- Be specific about the responsibilities and duties he/she should perform
Revamp your interview process
Interviewing is an essential step when hiring a team for your startup.
You can conduct an effective interview by:
- Asking candidates to complete a task: A good way to check candidate experience is by giving them an assignment. It doesn’t have to be too complicated. Through this way, you can make sure if they have the skills needed for the job.
2. Checking candidates’ backgrounds: When you run a background check, it verifies the information in their application. This helps you to come up with questions to ask in the interview and see whether to select the candidate forward in the process.
Follow some talent assessment methods
After reviewing your applicant’s resume, skills, it’s time to interview him/her personally.
To know his/her talent, you can follow some talent assessment methods to determine whether they fulfil your requirements.
- Personality tests: Here, you can identify valuable attributes like leadership, and creativity and assess them easily alongside the characteristics of other candidates.
- Cognitive ability testing: Also known as “General Aptitude Tests.” It usually includes numerical and verbal reasoning and even logic exercises, problem-solving and more. This helps you know the candidate’s general ability when solving fundamental problems.
What qualities to look for when hiring team members for your startup?
Attitude is something that you won’t be able to identify from someone’s resume alone, so it is crucial to keep in mind to properly interview your candidates.
Attitudes that you should look for can be:
Eager to learn
Your startup at some point may experience a good amount of growth if everything goes according to your business plan.
Therefore, you need to bring people who are more eager to learn and grow within your company and by taking on new responsibilities and tasks.
With all startups, there will be constant changes. As you are starting and figuring things out, business will probably change many times before you find reliable methods that work well each time.
So, make sure that the people you hire are flexible enough to adjust to these changes.
You should look for soft skills as these skills are also crucial for your startup. There are many types of soft skills to consider like communication skills, interpersonal skills, adaptability, creativity, empathy, etc.
- As a startup, you may struggle to bring on the best early team members for the successful development of your product.
- As your business grows, your startup recruitment efforts will also expand. So, it’s important to make good changes to your recruitment, hiring and onboarding processes.
- 92% of recruiters make full use of social media like Likedln to hire a team for their startup.
- When building a core team for a startup, the candidates you are looking for should have an entrepreneurial mindset. So it is better to choose and hire people who can think outside the box and are always ready to take risks.
- How to find a team for your startup?
- Build an attractive startup
- Conduct a good interview process
- Reach out to people on social media platforms
- Follow different talent assessment methods
- What should you consider when hiring a team for your startup?
- Soft skills
- Eagerness to learn
- Where can I find exceptional team members for your startup?
- You can find the best people for your startup from different social media platforms like Linkedln, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Upwork and Gun.io.